Wednesday, August 23, 2017

I Want To Grow Old Like You.....


Recently I went to a multiplex, and as there was still some time to go before they allow us to enter the hall, I thought to have some cardamom tea. I took my tea and sat next to two old ladies (either sisters or friends) who must be in their late 70s or early 80s. One was draped in a beautiful floral print saree and other one was in a beautiful Chikankari suit. Both looked affluent with their 'Tag Heuer' spectacles, expensive watches and 'Da Milano/ Hidesign' handbags. One was calm while other was talkative.

The one in suit, looked at me and asked me very politely 'From where did you get tea, Beta?' I showed her the counter, and then i asked- 'Can I help you with that?' She chuckled and said -'No Beta, I'll get that, its been a while since we had this kind of outing! Its so exciting'. I was so happy to see those expressions on her wrinkled yet beautiful face. I smiled at her. Then they both talked about ticket collection after online booking. One in suit said- 'Bahut bheed hai wahan par, aur tumhare phone ki screen wahan tak jaate jaate band ho jaati hai. How this thing would switch on?' looking at iPhone. I wanted to offer some help but then I thought let them enjoy this outing, but I didn't leave as i wanted to make sure they don't end up missing on their movie. So i sat back and waited.

The one in saree turned to me- i am sorry to bother you but which way is to washroom? I replied- No problem Ma'am, this way. She came after a while and said to the other one- you wait here i'll go and collect the tickets. And after that we will have cardamom tea together. And after that they actually gave each other a High-five. I couldn't hold myself and said- 'I am so glad to see you both having so much fun. I would love to grow old like you'. They laughed and one of them patted on my shoulder and said- 'Be yourself, no matter what they say, is the key my dear.'

I was amazed to see their energy and enthusiasm. I was like 'OMG, High-five, wow.' I want this kind of old age. They went ahead towards ticket counter and i was smiling endlessly with their words lingering in my thoughts. Our elders can always give us new meanings of life anytime. What a superb time I spent there in those 20 minutes.

No comments: